Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's Kind of Pretty Outside

Today marks the first snow day of the year for my college, and the second I've ever experienced in my three years here. (It takes at -least- a level three snow emergency for them to cancel classes, and even then I imagine the administrators do so begrudgingly.)

There's at least three inches of snow outside, and last I looked it was still coming down. There are icicles hanging from the roofs of the houses, and the tree branches and power-lines are heaped with a fine dusting of snow. I should be out taking pictures with the digital camera I received for Christmas, but... well, it's cold out! And my boots are still all muddy... so I suppose I'll just sit inside instead and play WoW or make a blog for no apparent reason.

Do you ever wonder why people talk to you? Not in the general sense, but mostly people you don't really want to talk to, particularly about the details of their personal lives? This happens to me a lot. I guess I'm a pretty nice person, and patient, and people see that as an indication that I want to wade through their walls of text (on AIM) or sit and appear to be interested (in person) and give feedback on whatever personal issues they may be having, and possibly even offer advice or like, encouragement. Because obviously this is my preferred way to utilize my free time.

I'm talking about people I vaugely know; you know, the people that you've talked to once or twice, met around campus, friend of a friend kind of deal. That, or people who I've had fights with in the past, who I've gradually broken off contact with. If you are a person like this, here's some advice. One word, non-committal answers (i.e., "yeah", "really", "I see") mean that the person is too polite to tell you to shove it, but really hopes you get the hint and stop bothering them. No answers at all mean much the same; yes, there's a possibility that they're absent from their computer and had no time to tell you as such, but there's an even greater possibility that they're completely ignoring your posts in the hope that you'll talk yourself out and leave them be; particularly if you happen to be whining about your life.

I like to think I'm an open-minded, thoughtful, kind, and patient person. Please don't make me re-evaluate my personal traits by bothering me so much I want to club you across the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment